- Ford Ranger scored highest in Adult Occupant Protection (AOP) with the strongest evaluation score of 15.45/16 points
- Class-leading safety features help Ford Ranger raise the bar on safety in the pickup segment by leveraging Ford’s global engineering resources and advanced safety technologies
Kuala lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 11, 2015 – The class-defining new Ford Ranger has received the highest safety rating among all pickup trucks being tested by the ASEAN New Car Assessment Program (ASEAN NCAP) with the strongest evaluation score in the segment of 15.45/16 points.
“Achieving 5-star ASEAN-NCAP is an important milestone in the new Ranger’s success story as we designed and developed this vehicle to challenge the conventional world of pickup trucks and provide customers with more class-leading safety features than ever,” said Mark Kaufman, president, Ford ASEAN.
“Safety is always Ford’s top priority. We are hugely proud of the results we have achieved and today’s announcement is further proof that the new Ranger is true to our ‘Built Ford Tough’ heritage with outstanding levels of safety customers expect in this all-important vehicle segment.”
Ford has leveraged its global engineering tools and advanced safety technologies to offer an unmatched level of occupant protection for the new Ranger. From body structure that includes a side impact protection beam to a collapsible steering column, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), the new Ranger delivers top performance in both active and passive safety.
The tested model also was equipped with dual front airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Emergency Brake Assist (EBA), Roll Over Mitigation (ROM) and ISOFIX for child seat attachment.
In Malaysia, Ranger’s safety package is unmatched, with up to six airbags – three times more than any other pickup in the country. Ford’s Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and ISOFIX child safety mounts also come standard, making Ranger the only pickup truck in Malaysia to offer these two important safety features across all variants. All Ranger variants in Malaysia also feature driver and front passenger seatbelt reminders.
The new Ford Ranger builds on its reputation as the most capable, powerful and smartest pickup truck with an array of driver assist technologies that help to make your drive more convenient. These include:
- Lane Keeping Alert and Lane Keeping Aid work together to help to prevent the driver from unintentionally drifting out of a lane when driving at high speeds. If the forward-facing camera detects the vehicle is straying from its lane, Lane Keeping Alert warns the driver with a vibration in the steering wheel. If no action is taken to correct the drift, Lane Keeping Aid applies steering torque to guide the vehicle back into its lane
- Adaptive Cruise Control makes use of radar sensors to maintain both a preset speed as well as a preset distance from the vehicle ahead. When the system detects a vehicle ahead, it decelerates automatically to maintain a safe distance. It accelerates back to the driver’s preset cruising speed when the road ahead clears. An adjustable speed limiter helps drivers avoid unintentionally exceeding their selected speed
- Forward Alert works with Adaptive Cruise Control to give drivers a visual and audible warning when the gap to a vehicle ahead drops below a safe distance. The system also charges the brakes to ensure optimum braking performance
- Front and Rear Park Assist uses sensors to detect obstacles and provide audible warnings when the vehicle approaches obstructions at low speeds, such as when parking. A rear-view camera gives a clear view behind the vehicle, giving greater confidence when parking and hitching up a trailer
- Other smart technologies on the new Ranger include Hill Launch Assist, to help you confidently start off from a slope, whether in forward or reverse; Hill Descent Control, which uses the traction control system to help you descend steep slopes at a constant speed; Adaptive Load Control, which adjusts the Electronic Stability Control system based on vehicle load; and Emergency Brake Assistance, which provides additional pressure to the brake system to increase braking force when you apply the brakes quickly in an emergency situation
The highest variant in the Ranger line-up, the Ranger Wildtrak also includes side and rear curtain airbags for enhanced protection.
The new Ford Ranger was introduced in ASEAN in 2015, and is built at Ford’s AutoAlliance Thailand joint-venture in Rayong, Thailand.